Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation Native American Graduate Fellowship

Required Qualifications:

  • Pursuing a Master’s or Doctoral degree from Montana State University;
  • Minimum 2.5 undergraduate cumulative GPA and minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA during any graduate program work;
  • Earned a baccalaureate degree from a four (4) year regionally accredited institution of higher learning anywhere in the United States;
  • Montana resident;
  • Enrolled member of a Montana Native American Tribe;
  • United States citizen.

Additional Award Information:

  • Upon receipt of the Fellowship, the student is guaranteed one (1) year of funding and allowed a maximum of two (2) years of funding, provided the recipient remains eligible;
  • In order to remain eligible to receive funding for the second year, the student must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. At the end of fall semester of the first year, the Graduate School will review the student’s academic progress. If the student’s GPA is below a cumulative 3.0 at this time or at the end of the spring semester, the student must reapply for the Fellowship and will be subject to the competitive process for selection.
  • Preference will be given to applicants who have provided a letter of support from the department in which they are enrolled as a graduate student, indicating that said department will provide them with a GRA or GTA stipend.

Supplemental Questions
  1. Are you an enrolled member of a federally recognized Montana American Indian tribe (including the Little Shell Chippewa Tribe)?
  2. Select the tribes that you are an enrolled member.
  3. Describe your motivations for wanting to earn a graduate degree in your specific field of study. How does being a member of a Montana American Indian tribe contribute to your motivations?
  4. Describe your current research focus, or, if a newly admitted student, your research area of interest.
  5. Please indicate if you will receive a graduate appointment from your department for this academic term. If so, indicate if you will be appointed as a Graduate Teaching Assistant and/or Graduate Research Appointment.
  6. Show 4 more